Happy 2017! New Year’s Eve into New Year’s Day is one of my favorite times of the year. When I was growing up we used to collect a bunch of candles onto the coffee table and light them all as a welcome to the New Year. New Year’s has always been a nice family celebration for me. Sometimes we would watch movies, and sometimes we would watch the ball drop. Last year I was with my family so we also lit off sparklers and fireworks to the delight of my niece. This year I watched anime and consumed delicious gluten free Mr. Mochi Ice Cream, something I missed from the days where I ate gluten.
My 2017 started off on a wonderful note. I found my knit hat that I made a few years ago at a diner that I often go to with my girlfriend. They kept it there on their coat rack for at least a few weeks, and I was excited to find it. I honestly thought that it had fallen behind the coach or was somewhere in my apartment and I hadn’t realized I lost it. It was a great surprise!
It seems as if I haven’t written New Year’s Resolutions on my blog since 2015 began. I believe I did alright with a lot of my resolutions in 2015, which was the year of love for me, but I don’t think I had any concrete resolutions for 2016. As bad as 2016 was collectively for all of us, 2016 was also something sneakily wonderful for me personally. I have a few resolutions for 2017.
- I want to get less sleep. This one may seem odd, but I do tend to oversleep if I have the time to do so. I am aiming for a solid 8 hours of sleep every night. This means that I need to set an alarm, even when I don’t have anything to do the next day.
- I want to drink more water and less caffeine. I also really need to eat in the morning. I think this sometimes is correlated with me oversleeping, so this is connected to my first goal.
- I want to get off of social media and the internet before going to bed and read instead. This one seems like the hardest goal that I have this year. Generally this means that if I am just endlessly scrolling online, I want to get off and do something else. This also means that I need to read more of my physical books rather than ebooks. I think this will also help with me setting a schedule for sleep.
- I want to stretch every day for at least 10 minutes. This is pretty basic, but I think this will be nice to do when I wake up to help me set a good sleeping/waking schedule.
- Lastly, I want to listen to more music. The New Year always makes me reflect on the music I have loved throughout the year, and it’s something I really love. This year I have gotten more into Japanese music, and I want to continue exploring that wonderful part of the world.
Happy New Year!